http://antigizi.or.kr/english

Home    korean  

NO US BASE  | NEWS  |  PHOTO  |  CONTACT  

Sera   pm.3:25, Friday ( 651hit )
Letters from the Kimjitae..

The Village Headman's letter to Korean People

Dear my fellow citizens,

As the headman of the Daechuri village, I apologize to Korean people for being a clamorously controversial problem in the nation.

I have lived here with my old parents to be a farmer for 20 years. I also have been happy with my wife and two sons.

The peaceful life of villagers including my family has been destroyed since in 2003 the news came to us that many of the US military bases in South Korea would be relocated to get together here in Daechuri.

That news was a real shock to us, for the generation of my parents underwent migration forced by the Japanese colonial army and later we were forced to move by the US army. Now, are doomed to leave this place forever for the 3rd time?

Recognizing that what is called the "national project" of the consolidation move of the US base resulted from the unfair and undemocratic relation between Daechuri residents and the Korean government, and between Seoul and Washington, we sent tens of protesting letters to the Ministry of National Defense, the Ministry of Diplomacy and Trade, and US Embassy before the parliamentary ratification in 2004.  They did not respond to us. We sometimes received letters of reply merely saying that we must understand that it is "a national project."

Even though the government just disregarded Daechuri residents, we were not daunted and persisted in struggling against the government. For we knew what the truth was. More and more people began to support us.

The government sometimes pretended that they wanted to have "a dialogue" with residents. At the same moment that they proposed a dialogue with us, they encircled our farm with barbed wires and destroyed Daechu primary school, which  also played a role of our community house. That is what they meant by "dialogue". The Minister of National Defense and the Prime Minister, whoever they may be, frequently had the press conference and then the major newspaper and broadcasting companies just relayed what they said to the mass, as if it had been true.

The government must let people know what is all about the relocation of the US base. There must be nothing left behind the screen. Then, there must be taken a more democratic procedure, whether it may be a poll or a national referendum.

We want more people to visit our homepage (www.antigizi.or.kr) to satisfy your curiosity about what is really going on in this small village. We also suggest to the government that it kill and bury us here in our own land rather than having "a dialogue" only to talk about compansation money and the expansion of the US base, which do not interest us at all.

Lastly, we have one thing to say to our fellow citizens. Whether you support or oppose us, we believe, you are all patriots loving this country. Without the passion  for the love of our nation, you would just have had an apathy to us. What we do want to say to all of you is that you must think over whether there were sufficient legal grounds for all the processes involved with the move of the US base and over the true nature of more than 600-day-length of candle demonstration. It is not only then before you suppose or oppose us. We will accept and follow the will of Korean people.

We will fight to the last.

list    edit   del    
No Subject Name Date Hit
  there are also 235 signatures and notes on the petition   
saveptfarmers  06-05-26 738
  just a little bit of the words of solidarity we've gotten over at saveptfarmers   
saveptfarmers  06-05-26 1359
  June 4th International Day of Solidarity with the Daechuri and Doduri Villagers   
savePTfarmers  06-05-25 658
  Letters from the Kimjitae..   
Sera  06-05-19 651
  To the Korean consulate, citizen in the USA   
Sera  06-05-17 630
  May 9, 2006 by CommonDreams.org - rean Farmers Say No to Giant US Base   
Sera  06-05-17 696
  Base realignment in Korea spurs protest/The Christian Science Monitor   
Sera  06-05-17 631
  International Herald Tribune (5¿ù5ÀÏ ÀÚ) ±â»ç   
Sera  06-05-17 629
  solidarity from the citizen in the USA   
Sera  06-05-17 616
  a picture of our campaign in Kwanghwamun, Seoul taken on May 7   
dope  06-05-13 639
  what is this base expansion really about?   
solidaridad  06-05-12 653
  The fisrt report on the State violence and human rights violation in Pyeongtaek (in korean lnaguage)   
dope  06-05-10 651
list    [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9] 10 ..[15] >>
Copyright 1999-2024 Zeroboard / skin by E*so

copylefted by Korea Coalition against U.S. base expantion in Pyeongtaek