Home    korean  

NO US BASE  | NEWS  |  PHOTO  |  CONTACT  

Sera   am.11:40, Tuesday ( 712hit )
¡°I am not leaving. I am going to die here.¡±

May 08, 2006
Bang Hyo-tae's words
this is taken from an article at donga.com

Bang Hyo-tae (aged 70) pounded his chest when he spotted the police force entering the play yard of Daechu-ri Elementary School in Daechu-ri, Pyeongtaek City on Thursday around 10:00 a.m..

Bang is a third generation native of the village and is caring for his 101-year-old mother. He sat through the night at the school on Wednesday. He sided with students and laborers who sat in front of the main gate of the school and took part in demonstrations. He clapped and sang along to the unfamiliar songs.

The police threw Bang into the asphalt road. His eyes were filled with tears.

¡°Is it a crime to live on my land? I did not get one cent of the deposit. How can I just watch them destroy my crop field? It is like they are evicting my children.¡±

He thinks that the compensation is not enough.

¡°Pyeongtaek land costs 500,000 won to one million won per pyeong. The government is offering me 150,000 won to leave. This is thievery.

Bang says that having to leave his home is worse than getting poorly compensated.

¡°I do not have much longer to live. I cannot adapt to a new environment.¡±

Still, many have left the village already. Bang says, ¡°Those who left did so because the government made Daechu-ri a very hard place to live in. They are also in some sense victims.¡±

His four children gave him a phone call yesterday. They tried to persuade him to leave, because the village is not safe, but he has no intentions to do so.

¡°I can give my land to my country. But the police with their sticks and shields are saying that they will make a base for Americans. I cannot agree to that.¡±

Posted by unity at 11:11 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBacks (0)
last nights rally in seoul
approximately 3,000 held a candle light vigil at gwanghwamun in seoul last night. the rally was uneventful until near the end. the police announced that the rally was an illegal demonstration and that if the crowd did not leave, all were subject to arrest. the order was ignored. the police did not move. as the rally came to a close, the protestors began to march towards the blue house (the president's house) and were blocked by riot police. a minor standoff ensued. the police sprayed a white powder on the demonstrators which was probably a fire extinguisher. the crowd left the area around 10:30pm. no arrests are reported.

Posted by unity at 10:19 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBacks (0)
Correction
apparently earlier reports thar martial law had been declared over the area were incorrectly translated. the actual legal situation is currently unclear. friday night anyone outside their homes was subject to arrest. however, that curfew was later lifted. at this time people are outside their homes. some are even working in the gardens inside the village. at this time, it is reported that the police continue to block traffic into the village.

Posted by unity at 10:14 AM | Permalink

list    edit   del    
No Subject Name Date Hit
  background article for those who have recently become aware of the situation   
savePTfarmers  06-05-09 940
  some comments from the blog at save pt farmers   
savePTfarmers  06-05-09 624
  Day of 7   
nobasept  06-05-09 661
Sera  06-05-09 712
  º¸µµÀÚ·á] ´ëÇѹα¹: ¹Ì±º±âÁö¸¦ À§ÇØ ¼öõ¸íÀÇ °æÂû·ÂÀÌ ÇÇ·Î ¹°µç Ã߹濡 ÅõÀԵǴÙ. -¿¥³×½ºÆ¼   
Sera  06-05-09 704
  Hotline Asia Urgent Appeals -- UA060327(3)   
Sera  06-05-09 754
  the last several days   
savePTfarmers  06-05-08 602
  Catholic Priest's Association of Justice, determined to be an advance guard against troops   
Sera  06-05-05 680
  for updates.photos.news   
savePTfarmers  06-05-04 685
  more photos   
savePTfarmers  06-05-04 667
  As of 9:46am, the MND holds the primary school.   
savePTfarmers  06-05-04 720
  Catholic Priest's Association of Justice, determined to be   
Nobasept  06-05-04 622
list    << [1].. 11 [12][13][14][15] >
Copyright 1999-2024 Zeroboard / skin by E*so

copylefted by Korea Coalition against U.S. base expantion in Pyeongtaek